Build a Lane House in Vancouver – How to Start2016-10-13T10:33:43-07:00

Building a lane house, laneway house (LWH) or small infill house in Vancouver?

Here are a few things to consider.

Get Started:

Zoning Bylaws

Does your property qualify for a lane house?
In the City of Vancouver, the property must:

  • be zoned for single family residential: RS-1. RS-2, RS-3, RS-4, RS-5, RS-6 , or RS-7
  • be at least 32’-2” (9.8m) wide
  • have access to an open lane or flanking sidestreet

— Find out about the size and zoning of your property


Do you need information about financing options for a lane house?
— If so, Vancity has developed a financing package specifically for laneway housing.

We Can Help

You can work through the steps above yourself or you can contact us and we will guide you through using our process.